Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Parmesan Chicken

I had already defrosted some chicken, and not wanting anything to complicated for dinner tonight I went through a handful of healthy recipes I had gathered to find the one with the shortest prep and cook time.

Bingo! Parmesan-Seared Chicken!

All you need is about fifteen minutes, a pound of chicken, Dijon mustard, grated parmesan, and some olive oil. Plus, with veggies on the side, the whole meal is only 455 calories.

I got the recipe from Caloriecount.com, which is also where I keep track of all of my calories.

Ingredients:
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast--I went with the Perdue Chicken Breast tenderloins, because Kroger had a great sale on chicken last week.
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard-- I didn't bother measuring, and just used as much as I felt like.
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 teaspoons olive oil -- may have used a little more like a tablespoon to coat the bottom of the pan, but most of it gets thrown away

Directions
1. Coat the chicken strips with the Dijon mustard. -- I had a lot of fun with this step, using my fingers and getting all messy as I smoothed the mustard all over the chicken.
2. Meanwhile heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
3. Fill a plastic bag with the Parmesan cheese, throw in a few chicken tenders at a time and shake it up.
4. Using tongs, cook the chicken in the skillet, about 3-5 minutes per side depending on how hot your oil is.
5. Enjoy!

The husband and I really enjoyed these. Though the recipe says this makes 4 servings, I really didn't think 2 tenderloins was enough to fill either of us up. So I basically divided it in half, served with some mixed frozen veggies, and gobbled it up within about three minutes.

The chicken was really moist, and it wasn't too cheesy, since there's basically just a dusting of Parmesan on each one. I can highly recommend this one!

Nutritional Facts: 1/2 pound chicken
Calories: 375
Total Fat: 14.0g
Saturated Fat: 4.8g
Cholesterol: 133mg
Sodium: 600mg
Total Carbs: 1.4g
Dietary Fiber: 0.2g
Sugars: 0.4g
Protein: 63.3g
Vitamin A: 2%
Calcium: 28%
Iron: 11%

3 comments:

  1. Be very suspect of your source for nutrition info. Running the recipe thru the tool I use, I got the following for half the batch as prescribed:

    544 kCal
    22g fat
    8g satFat
    212 chol

    "Don't trust everything you read on the internet." Including this. Double-check everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I've run it through three more different recipe analyzers and calorie count catalogs and get everything between 375 to 516, but not as high as 544. Most of the calories I've gotten come from the chicken itself, then the cheese, then the oil, and finally the mustard. I think it's safe to say it is still a fairly healthy meal.

    Regardless, all calorie counters are suspect. There is no exact way to measure the caloric weight of the food as prepared each time without extremely sensitive equipment, and I don't have that. I'm going off of estimates. If that means I go over or under on my daily calorie goals, that's fine. It's a rough science determining what your body needs each day.

    So long as I'm regularly keep track of what I'm eating, how much I'm eating, and attempt to cut back in a reasonable way, I think it's a fairly safe way to attempt to lose weight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at our rundown of the LunaTrim Top 10 Fat Burners, all of which have been emphatically evaluated and some even tried by yours really
    https://goo.gl/2vTtKj

    ReplyDelete