Monday, March 12, 2012

Healthy Chicken Parmesan


Well, I haven't cooked an original meal in quite a few days. There have been a lot of meals out, scrounging for food, unoriginal salads with added protein, and other excuses not to cook. Today though, was rainy and just begging for a good comfort meal.

I don't know about you, but Italian food just screams comfort food to me. Something about the warm richness, the interplay between cheese and red sauce, it just does something for me. So when I came across this really easy and healthy recipe, I decided to try it out. It's not quite as rich as many chicken parm recipes, but that's probably because it is really straightforward and is so low cal. Try it, because it's surprisingly delicious and filling.

Ingredients
1 pound chicken (about three breasts each cut in half)
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce
2/3 cup parmesan cheese, divided
1tsp flour
basil
oregano
rosemary
salt
pepper

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 425.
2. In a shallow baking dish, place chicken breasts in a single layer. Sprinkle with salt and pepper followed by a mixture of 1/3 cup parmesan cheese and flour.
3. Bake for about 20 minutes or until they start just getting browned on the top.
4. While the chicken is cooking, mix the tomatoes and herbs in a saucepan. Heat to a boil and then simmer on low heat until slightly reduced. I mixed the herbs until I got a taste I liked. The recipe called for garlic, too, but the garlic I had went bad, so I skipped it.
5. Remove chicken from oven and pour the sauce over it. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Reduce the temperature to 360, and then bake for about 15 more minutes.
6. Serve with veggies of your choice. Also, help yourself to two servings if you're hungry. There's plenty of wiggle room with these!

Nutritional Info (Makes 6 Servings)
Calories: 116
Total Fat: 1.0 g
Cholesterol: 43 mg
Sodium: 83 mg
Total Carbohydrates: 5.5g
Dietary Fiber 2.2g
Sugars: 3.3g
Protein: 17.3g
Vitamin A: 9%
Vitamin C: 9%
Calcium: 1%
Iron: 3%

No comments:

Post a Comment